Friday, February 20, 2009

Going With the Flow (of Energy, that is!)

The last couple weeks have been challenging ones for me. My mantra this year is "Focus," and I've been repeating that word over and over more so in the last few weeks than in all of January.

The biggest "focus" was with my oldest, who is scheduling his courses for his first year of high school. There was a LOT of information to process and big decisions for him to make. What career path was he choosing? Should he take honors courses? Which other required classes could he test out of because of passing middle school honors courses? Was he planning on playing college sports, because if so, graduation requirements are stricter, so we'de better take that into consideration as well. And schedule auditions for the cadet band and don't forget to pick up the sheet music for band boosters scholarship auditions, too, while you're at it.

All this happened within the blur of a couple days, amidst parent teacher conferences for the younger two, a neice's birthday party, delivering work for one show, shipping paintings off to another exhibition, attending an opening and several guild/committee meetings, and a few other family obligations. 

And of course the kids were also out of school, which means a merry-go-round of friends and neighbors for 5 days straight.

But the one thing I have learned through my "focus"ing is that I have the most creative energy first thing in the morning. If I tap into that I end up being far more productive.

I'm putting that rule to test in the coming week, which should be a little calmer pace-wise. I'm planning on getting to the easel right after walking the dog each morning, THEN moving onto paper- and computer work.

I'd be interested in hearing how other's channel their energy into making days more enjoyable. Feel free to comment!!

Thanks, as always, for following along with my musings,
Kim
ksantini@turtledovedesigns.com


No comments: